Advanced Placement Psychology with Mr. Duez
Unit 4: Memory, Language, & ThoughtWEEK AT A GLANCE:
MON - EOC English Training all morning; No Psych. :(
TUE - Quiz over Memory; Finish Memory Notes, Discussion, & Video
WED/THU - TEST Unit 4 (Memory Only); Then discuss Language & Thought
FRI - Language & Thought
1. Cognition is the study of mental processes.
2. STM seems to be limited to 7+ - 2 items at any given time.
3. The differences between encoding, storage, and retrieval are important.
4. Models of LTM deal with how we organize information that we need to know.
5. Problem solving involves applying what we know in an organized way to issues that we face.
6. Language is a complex system of communication that allows us to use complex symbols to talk about things in the past or future, not just the present.
Questions to Consider:
1. How does language influence thought?
2. How can language reveal information to us about human nature?
Monday, March 4, 2013
Quote of the Day: "History is a myth that men agree to believe." - Napoleon
NO PSYCHOLOGY DUE TO STATE TESTING
- Finland has the same number of teachers as New York City but nearly half the amount of students. Finland has about 600,000 students while NYC has close to 1.1 million.
- Every single teacher in Finland needs to have a master’s degree. That degree is fully subsidized by the state, too.
- Students in Finland don’t start school until they’re 7 years old.
- The only mandatory test is taken when students are 16 years old.
- There aren't any separate classrooms for accelerated learning or special education. All students are taught in the same classroom.
- Compared to the U.S., Finland spends about 30% less per student.
- About two-thirds of students in Finland attend college. That’s the highest rate in all of Europe.
- Only the top 10% of graduates are eligible to become teachers.
- The classroom size of science courses is limited to 16 students. This is so students can do actual in-person experiments in the lab.
- Elementary school students in the U.S. get about half an hour of recess. Students in Finland get about 75 minutes.
Quote: “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work learning from failure.” - General Colin Powell
1. DO NOW QUESTION: Which type of test question gives a student the best chance at recalling learned information - completion, essay, fill in the blank, multiple choice, true & false?
2. Quiz Unit 4 - Memory
3. Notes, Video & Discussion: Memory: Recall Vs. Recognition
|Could technology like Google Glass improve someone's Cognition: Memory, Language, & Thought?|
Wednesday, March 6 & Thursday, March 7, 2013
Quote: "It was a rum job going over the top, without any rum." - Harry Lamin on the Western Front during Trench Warfare
1. DO NOW QUESTION: Prep for test. After the test: At what level is the statement ambiguous - "Curious blue ideas sleep furiously."
2. Test Over Memory Only
3. Notes, Video & Discussion: Cognition - Language & Thought
|Caution: Grammar Nazis are everywhere (especially in English class!).|
Quote of the Day: "The war has ruined us for everything." - Remarque, All Quiet on the Western Front
1. Do Now Question: How does language influence thought?
2. Notes, Video & Discussion: Cognition - Language & Thought
3. Video: 60 Minutes - The Secret Language of Elephants