1. People dream during REM sleep.
2. Sleep isn't easy for everyone. There are a variety of sleep disorders that are important to understand.
3. The Stages of Sleep.
Learning Targets Chapter 6 "Learning"
1. Learning refers to a relatively permanent change in behavior based on experience.
2. Classical conditioning involves the pairing of one stimulus with another, so that eventually the first neutral stimulus will evoke a reflex.
3. Classical conditioning is associated with Pavlov and Watson; Operant Conditioning is associated with Skinner.
4. According to Operant Conditioning, the consequences of a behavior influence whether or not the behavior will be performed again.
5. Reinforcements are used to increase the likelihood a behavior will be repeated and punishments are used to decrease the likelihood a behavior will be repeated.
Monday, Feb. 20, 2012 - President's Day - No School For Students.
Presidents' Day, celebrated each year on the third Monday in February, is a day when Americans honor the legacies of the U.S. presidents.
The holiday was established in 1800, when Congress declared February 22–George Washington's birthday–a federal holiday.
Still legally known as Washington's Birthday, Presidents' Day has become a day to honor not only Washington, but Abraham Lincoln, the 16th U.S. president who was born on February 12, and the lives and accomplishments of all U.S. presidents.
Quotes of the Day:
“Blessed are the young, for they will inherit the national debt.” - Herbert Hoover
"You lose." - Calvin Coolidge, after a woman told him she made a bet that she could get at least three words of conversation from him
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before." - Dwight D. EisenhowerTuesday, Feb. 21, 2012
Quote of the Day: "Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence." - Abigail Adams, 1780
1. Review and Finish Classical Conditioning, notes/discussion/video.
2. Introduce Operant Conditioning, notes/discussion/video
3. Student worksheet on Schedules of Reinforcement.
Thursday Feb. 23, 2012
Quote of the Day: "Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous." - Confucius, The Confucian Analects, Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)
1. Review and Finish Operant Conditioning, notes/discussion/video.
2. Quiz Chapter 6.
3. Introduce Observational Learning, notes/discussion/video.
4. Review Chapters 5 and 6 with Psyktrek CD, if time permits.
Notes Chapter 5 - Consciousness
Notes Chapter 6 - Classical Conditioning
Notes Chapter 6 - Operant Conditioning
Friday, Feb. 24, 2012
Quote of the Day: "Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming, US business adviser & author (1900 - 1993)
1. TEST on Chapters 5 and 6. "Consciousness & Learning"
2. After the test, students can pick up the Chapter 7 articles:
Flavor of Memories
Friends Ruin Memory