All make up and late work should be finished by the end of the day on Friday, May 21st.
We have not had any assignments since last Tuesday, so you have had well over a week to get any make up work completed in that time.
Reminder - check HAC and be sure to get any late work completed by 5/21 at midnight.
Email Mr. Duez when any work is completed. I want the grades updating going into next week so that students will have full knowledge of whether to take the final summative test. The schedule for the tests is posted on my website.
If there are any technical difficulties or issues with AP Digital Testing this week, you can file for a request for a make up exam at this link: https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/digital-ap-exams/makeup-request
Final Summative Exam - Bell Schedule - Last week of 2020-2021
Please be sure you are aware of the information below:
High School courses will have summative tests, not finals
Humble ISD is adjusting its high school grading procedures for the spring 2021 semester, as was done in the fall 2020 semester, due to the impact of COVID-19 and students’ varying circumstances and learning environments.
Instead of taking final exams that count as 20 percent of the semester average in each course, students in high school courses will take summative tests during the week of May 24-28 that allow students an opportunity to improve their grade in each course. The summative grade that students earn will replace the student’s lowest summative grade in the fourth nine weeks.
“We believe that teachers, students, and families will benefit from these procedures because students’ grades can only improve in this situation. It provides flexibility for students and families who have made many adjustments due to COVID-19. Students will not have to take a high-stakes final exam with a major impact on their semester grade,” Trey Kraemer, Assistant Superintendent for High Schools, said. “Students will have the opportunity to improve their fourth nine-weeks’ average. The score on this test will replace the lowest summative grade the student earned during the fourth nine-weeks grading period”.
The semester grade will be the average of the third nine-weeks grade and the fourth nine-weeks grade. Semester grades are recorded on the report card and transcript and used to determine class rank.
Teachers will have flexibility in the type of assessment they offer. High schools will adjust their bell schedule during the last week of the semester for the summative tests. High schools will have early release on Thursday, May 27, and Friday, May 28, as shown on the 2020-2021 calendar.
Exam exemptions will not be a factor this semester because there will not be semester exams. If a student does not take the last summative and receives a 0, the 0 can be dropped as the lowest summative grade.
The grading procedures only affects Humble ISD high school credit courses. Students enrolled in college credit courses will adhere to the grading procedures of Lone Star College or the University of Texas OnRamps.
As always, please reach out to your child’s teacher or counselor if you have questions about your child’s academic progress.
Example of Grading Procedure Change:
2019 Spring Semester Grading Procedure (Final Exam)
Third Nine Weeks Grade: 86; Fourth Nine Weeks Grade: 94
Nine Weeks Average: 86 + 94 = 180/2 = 90, Final Exam: 80
Semester Grade is 80 percent of the Nine Weeks’ Average plus 20 percent of Final Exam
80 percent of Nine Weeks Average Grade: 90 X .80 = 72
20 percent of Final Exam: 80 X .20 = 16
Semester Grade: 72 + 16 = 88
2021 Spring Semester Grading Procedure (No Final Exam)
Third Nine Weeks Grade: 86, Fourth Nine Weeks Grade: 94*
Nine Weeks Average: 86 + 94 = 180/2 = 90
Semester Grade: 90
*Lowest summative grade in the fourth nine weeks will be dropped from the nine-week average.
- Summative tests cannot negatively impact a student's 4th nine-week average. The summative test score will replace a student's lowest test score for the 4th nine-week grading period.
- Teachers have the flexibility to offer any assignment for the summative test.
- Students can use review materials (notes) during the summative test.
- Students will not be allowed to make up a missed final summative after Friday, May 28th, at 11:00 am.
Virtual Student Summative Tests
- The virtual student summative test window opens on Wednesday, May 26th at 7:25 am and lasts until Friday, May 28th at 11:00 am. (Please encourage the virtual students to begin any final exam before 10:00 am on Friday to ensure they have enough time to complete their test.) The virtual testing window will close at 11:00 am on Friday.
- The virtual summative test time limit must match the time limit for face-to-face students.
- Virtual tests cannot have a time limit on summative questions.
Face to face / Hybrid / UIL Students
- Students will take the summative tests based on the Week of May 24th -28th bell schedule.
- Students cannot take their final exam early without written approval by Mr. Daniels or Mr. Falker.
- Face-to-face students must report in person to take their final summative test. In-person students are not allowed to take their final summative remotely.
- Students on campus must report to their testing classroom. Students must have a hall pass before exiting the classroom.