- what abnormal psychology is and how it differs from normal psychology
- the major types of psychological disorders
- what we know about the causes of these disorders
- how mental health problems are treated
- different types of mental health workers
- various approaches to psychotherapy
1. The Diagnosis and Statistical Manual of Psychiatric Disorders is the handbook used by mental health professionals to diagnose psychiatric disorders.
2. There are many types of disorders, but they all involve debilitation that makes routine life situations difficult.
3. Schizophrenia is not dissociative identity disorder. It is a disorder that involves a break with reality and auditory hallucinations.
4. Personality disorders are the most difficult disorders to diagnose and treat. The most common treatment is medication (most have side effects).
5. Medication is effective as a treatment, but it is often combined with a form of “talk therapy” to provide a more complete therapeutic technique.
6. Behavioral and cognitive therapists are very popular forms of “talk therapy.”
7. Freudian therapy, though well known, is not utilized much anymore.
Targets - Chapter 16 - Social Psychology
- how being part of a group influences the way individuals behave
- why people cooperate with and help others
- what factors contribute to aggressive behavior and violence
1. Social psychology refers to how groups influence the behavior of an individual.
2. Attribution theory refers to how we make judgements about others.
3. Obedience and conformity both refer to the influence of others on our behavior.
4. Milgram did studies in social psychology that seem to be on the ethical edge.
5. Behavior can be influenced by the presence of a group.
Monday April 16, 2012
Quote of the Day: "In a mad world only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa (1910 - 1998)
1. Notes, Video, and Discussion: Chapter 14 Abnormal Psychology - Disorders
2. Video clip: A Beautiful Mind, One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest, A Brilliant Madness
Tuesday April 17, 2012
Quote of the Day: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
1. Do Now Question: Is the"ultimate cure" for any psychological disorder a biomedical cure?
2. Notes, Video, and Discussion: Chapter 15 Abnormal Psychology - Disorders
3. Psycktrek 3 CD review quiz.
Thursday April 19, 2012
Quote of the Day: "Madness in great ones must not unwatch'd go." - William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), Hamlet, Act III, sc. 1
1. Turn in Test CH. 12 Personality. Pick up a Quiz for CH 14-15-16 for practice.
2. Do Now Question: Compare and contrast the psychoanalytic and humanistic brands of insight therapy.
3. Notes, Video and Discussion: Chapter 16 Social Psychology
Friday April 20, 2012
Quote of the Day: "Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." - Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
1. Do Now Question: Comparing Social Psychology Theories Daryl Bem's self-perception theory suggests that behavior determines attitudes. This counterintuitive notion is reminiscent of the James-Lange theory of emotion. How are the two theories similar yet different from each other?
2. Notes, Video, and Discussion: Chapter 16 Social Psychology
3. Quick review quiz over 14-15-16.
TEST IS MONDAY APRIL 23, 2012!